Gone apple picking? Try changing up your classic apple traditions with these delicious bars. My favorite fall treat!
- 1 cup quick or old-fashioned (rolled) oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
Prepare base: In a medium bowl, combine oats, 1 cup flour, the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in beaten egg. Spread mixture evenly in pan.
- 6 apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- Hate Chopping? Try this amazing Vidalia Chop Wizard
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Prepare filling: Toss apples with sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon.
You’ll notice my bars are a bit dark, I used organic sugar, which is brown. White is reccommened for the bars appearance. However, the taste is the same!
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup quick rolled oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
Prepare topping: In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, and sugar. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease a 13×9 baking pan
- Assemble bars: Spread base mixture evenly in pan. Spread apple mixture over base layer. Sprinkle topping over apples.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Let cool 10 minutes before cutting.